Saturday, August 9, 2008

All-Time Favorite Teams: #25








Seattle Supersonics
NBA
1979-1992

Anyone that knows me also knows that I am not a huge NBA fan. As a kid I never really liked basketball all that much anyway, that is until 1979. The game that changed it all for me was of course the NCAA tournament final between Michigan State and Indiana State. Magic Johnson vs. Larry Bird. I pulled for Indiana State and of course they lost, 75-64 with Magic honored as tourney MVP. The game was so hyped that it remains the top rated game in the history of televised college basketball.

My favorite basketball player, Bird, had yet to don the Boston Green and White (although he was drafted by the C's as a junior). Enter the Seattle Supersonics, my 1st favorite NBA team.

The Sonics were an easy choice for me. Cool name, great colors and loved the logo. They also had a lot going for them. They lost the NBA title the year before to the Washingotn Bullets and were poised for another run. Jack Sikma was my favorite player and along with Dennis Johnson and Gus Williams the Supersonics redeemed themselves against the Bullets to capture the 1979 NBA title.

Other great Supersonics over the years included Fred Brown, Tom Chambers, The "X" Man - Xavier McDaniel, Dale Ellis, Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton.

After the "Dream Team" juggernaut of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics as well as the subsequent retirement of Bird, my interest in the NBA began to wane leading to the end of my Supersonics era.

Favorite Team Profile
Years: 14
Record: 605-543 / .527
Playoffs: 10
Division Champions: 1
Conference Finals: 3
NBA Champions: 1
Fan Rating: 5/10
Notes: I always preferred Supersonics as opposed to just "Sonics" and liked the late 70's early 90's logo to the mid 90's version. The 2000's look was a welcome change.

Oklahoma City? Really? Being a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins and all that our fans have gone through with possible relocation threats, I know what the fans of Seattle are going through . . . . . almost. The Penguins obviously never got relocated but were certainly on the precipice. My heart goes out to you Seattle and all of the loyal Supersonics fans. My Dad always reminded me over the years of how sports is business but it's certainly true these days now more than ever. One can only hope that the true NBA fans of Seattle are rewarded with their "new" Sonics sooner rather than later although I wish it had never had to come to this.










No comments: