Saturday, August 9, 2008

My Top 25 All-Time Favorite Teams

This will be a countdown of my favorite all-time teams that I have ever rooted for. Some of my friends that know me well might be somewhat surprised by a few of the teams that have ended up on this list but it is an honest evaluation of my fanhood from as far back as I can remember to the present.

I can't seem to recall any sports related images or memories in relationship to rooting for particular teams before the year 1976, America's Bicentennial year, so that is where this journey will begin. What follows is three snapshot memories from the year that launched my sports obsession.

My 1st sports "memory" is of Super Bowl X, Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Dallas Cowboys. The Steelers beat the Cowboys 21-17 for their 2nd Super Bowl title and though I was barely six years old, the images of Lynn Swann's MVP performance left an indelible mark that would become the springboard for a life long obsession with sports.

My 2nd sports "memory" is of the 1976 MLB All-Star game in Philadelphia. Steve Garvey was my 1st "official" favorite baseball player and was selected as the N.L. starting first baseman. The game was rich in overall talent and dominated by Reds; Bench, Rose, Foster, Concepcion, Morgan as well as Mike Schmidt and Tom Seaver for the N.L. The A.L. was represented by the likes of George Brett, Rod Carew, Thurman Munson and rookie phenom Mark Fidrych. The memory that stands out for me though is the fact that my family was trying to watch the game through one of the worst electrical storms that I can ever recall experiencing. The power kept going out and we wound up missing large chunks of the game at a time which I recall I wasn't too happy about. Garvey ended up 1-3 with a triple and and R.B.I. The N.L. which absolutely dominated the All-Star game in those days wound up as 7-1 victors with George Foster as the MVP.

My third and final snapshot "memory" is of the 1976 Olympic games that were held in Montreal, Canada. I can remember my parents and grandparents being big fans of the Olympic games, especially the pageantry surrounding them. Highlights of these games included 14-year-old Nadia Comaneci and her 7 perfect 10's in gymnastics which included the 1st ever 10 awarded; U.S.A. boxing gold medalists Sugar Ray Leonard, Leon Spinks, Michael Spinks, Leo Randolph and Howard Davis Jr. ; and everyone's favorite image of Bruce Jenner, "The World's Greatest Athlete" and 1976 Olympic Decathlon champion as well as Wheaties hero and reality T.V. star.

So there you have it, 1976, the year that launched my sports obsession odyssey. The countdown will begin with team #25 and work it's way to my favorite all-time team. My favorite teams have had their share of great moments as well as heart-break. I found that I wound up rooting for the underdogs in most situations and was eventually rewarded with Championships for my loyalty in most cases. I also found that I was attracted to some favorites based on either team colors or logos which I find amusing or simple geography. Some teams I still root for fanatically and some I have discarded with a chuckle. Anyway, this list wound up being a lot of fun to put together and brought back many fond memories of days gone by. Enjoy!

No comments: