Saturday, July 5, 2008

1989-90 Topps Hockey box break: Update & final analysis

Well, David's pack #36 only turned up a Zarley Zalapski RC with a BV of .50. Kind of a let down considering the build-up I had for that last pack. My overall evaluation of the entire wax box however would have to be deemed a smashing success.

Most importantly I was able to pull all 13 cards that I needed to complete my original set. The overall Book Value on all 468 cards from this wax box came in at $198.40, quite nice considering my original investment of $31.00! As far as my predictions go, well, let's just say I'm not much of a prognosticator. I thought there would be a Lemieux or Sakic in that last pack. Uh, no. I also predicted that I had a good chance of completing an entire second set as well and if not, I would come close, needing 5 cards or less. As it turns out, 11 cards are needed to complete another set after all. So once again, wrong! It won't be the last time for sure.

Cards I pulled the most of: 5
#37 John Tucker
#45 Cliff Ronning
#53 Guy Carbonneau
#75 Lee Norwood
#79 Al Iafrate
#83 Steve Yzerman
#101 Shawn Burr
#129 Paul Maclean
#136 Brian Leetch
#154 Doug Bodger
#157 Steve Tuttle

Key cards pulled:
#1 Mario Lemieux (1) - gum stain on back
#17 Patrick Roy (2)
#45 Cliff Ronning RC (5)
#83 Steve Yzerman (5)
#89 Trevor Linden RC (3)
#111 Geoff Courtnall RC (2)
#113 Joe Sakic RC (2)
#136 Brian Leetch RC (5) - one badly off center
#156 Wayne Gretzky (3)
#186 Brett Hull (2)

Biggest surprise:
Finding out card #156 was Wayne Gretzky

Biggest disappointment:
Brian Leetch RC off center
Only 1 Lemieux card - gum stained at that
Not even 1 Randy Cunneyworth card #63

After some research I found out that the supposed Cunneyworth "error" card has him with the Penguins instead of the correct version which has him as a Winnipeg Jet. I have 2 of the correct cards but have yet to even see what the "error" card looks like. If anyone can help me out on this I'd appreciate it. I thought an error card might come my way opening an entire wax box but not even the correct version was to be found this time around!

An overall 9 out of 10 on this wax box. The only way this was getting a 10 was if I pulled another Lemieux or two, got the Cunneyworth "error" or completed a second set. Great experience though as well as a great value. Looking forward to trying this again at some point with another set and wax box.

No comments: