Tuesday, July 1, 2008

1989-90 Topps Hockey box break: Mystery card #156 revealed


So I had to look on Beckett.com to find out who exactly graced card #156. The one card that I was missing to complete my set even after opening an entire wax box. Well it turns out that I only THOUGHT I was missing the card. The card actually turns out to be none other than the Great One himself, Mr. Wayne Gretzky. UNBELIEVABLE ! I pulled a Gretzky card in the VERY FIRST PACK that I opened from the 89-90 Topps Hockey wax box and didn't even realize I needed it as one of the cards to complete my set! I just saw that it was #99 wearing a black and silver L.A. Kings sweater, said "nice pull for the first pack, yeah me!" and assumed that I already had the card and didn't even think to look at the number on the back, which of course read 156. Just like it did on the back of the other two Gretzky's that I pulled from the box including the last pack! That's right, I pulled a Gretzky in the 1st pack and last pack and didn't even realize I needed it to complete this set! Well Pop, pop, fizz, fizz. I can now sleep well knowing that I definitely have this set finally complete in what I can only describe as a roller coaster experience. See boys and girls, card collecting CAN be fun! After opening the last pack (well, technically not the last pack) I thought that this experiment might be the last of its kind for my collection but I enjoyed it so much that I will definitely try this again. Now I can only hope that my buddy D.L. has as much luck as I had when he opens the REAL last pack of this wax box. Update to follow.

No comments: