Monday, June 30, 2008

1989-90 Topps Hockey box break: packs 1-9

All "common" cards in this set have a book value (BV) of 10 cents. Yup, that's it. There are however numerous cards that have a BV of 25 cents as well. For the purposes of breaking this 1989-90 Topps Hockey wax box I will "pull" all cards with a BV of 50 cents or greater. These would be your more recognizable stars and acclaimed rookie cards (RC) and a good start to see whether or not I got my $$$ worth on this 18 year-old wax box.

Remember, my goal here is to complete my original set that I am currently 13 cards short. Anything after that is gravy. Also of note, I haven't yet checked to see exactly who the 13 players are that I even need. All I have are the card numbers off of my old list and they are 5, 34, 38, 43, 69, 84, 98, 115, 137, 140, 155, 156 and 193.

As soon as I find that 1 last card, I'm going to surprise my friend David and let him choose a pack of cards from what is left and let him keep whatever comes out of the pack. Secretly, I hope he pulls a Sakic RC. Not because he likes ol' Joe but the RC tag and the $15 it is worth would be a "thrill" and again, that is what it's all about. If I had to guess though, I'd say David would rather pull the 50 cent Ron Francis Hartford Whaler card though. 'Canes fan, what can I say?

Let's roll.

Pack #1
Chris Chelios .50
Wayne Gretzky 4.00
Jeff Brown .50

card #140 is: Mike Ramsey
card #137 is: Greg Millen
card #115 is: Dave Poulin
card #38 is: Andrew McBain (I'm a Penguins fan and I honestly don't remember this guy playing for us!)

Now that's a great start. Right out of the gates with a Gretzky and 4 cards needed to complete my set. This looks like it might be easier than I thought!

Pack #2
Zarley Zalapski RC .50 (great hockey name)
Brett Hull 3.00
Pierre Turgeon .75
Craig Janney RC .75

card #43 is: Jari Kurri
card #5 is: Denis Savard
card#84 is: Mike McPhee

Wow! A Hull and three more cards towards set completion! Like shooting fish in a barrel!

Pack #3
Ron Francis .50 (that's all this card is worth? David will be so disappointed!)

That's it. Now that is more like I expected.

Pack #4

Uh, oh. The first card facing me on the top of this stack is none other than the vaunted David Volek! This is a bad omen for sure. If you are a Penguins fan, I don't need to say another word. If you aren't then you can see what all the fuss is about here. And I assure you that I've added this link against my better judgement. I think I will burn this card. That'll make me feel better. For a hot second anyway.

Derek King .50 (why?)
Steve Yzerman 2.00

card #98 is: Wayne Presley

1 more towards set completion (5 more to go!) and a Stevie Y. I'll take that considering I was blinded with horror at the initial sight of Volek's ugly mug.

Pack #5
Trevor Linden RC 1.25
Tony Granato RC .50
Steve Yzerman 2.00
Derek King .50
Mark Messier .50

Hmmm, Yzerman and King together again. Makes you wonder how cards are actually sorted into packs "randomly".

Pack #6
Brendan Shanahan .50

Pack #7
BAM ! !
Joe Sakic RC 15.00
Joe Nieuwendyk .50

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I'm glad I got the Sakic out of the way early. After only 7 packs, based on BECKETT BV, my STAR cards alone have surpassed in value what I initially paid for the entire wax box to begin with. $34.25, nice.

Pack #8
Jeff Brown .50
Pierre Turgeon .75
Brian Leetch RC 6.00
Jari Kurri .50

Kurri and Turgeon packed together again. Great to see the Leetch rookie show up.

Pack #9
Derek King .50
Grant Fuhr .50
And another Damn Volek card.

card #193 is: Rob Brown

On the back of the card it says he had 4 hat tricks in 88-89 amongst his 49 goal season. Thank you 66. I heard a rumor that Chuck Norris wears Mario Lemieux pajamas to bed. That's just what I heard Chuck. Feel free to verify that if you wish. Oh, by the way, take note Marian Hossa. You could be the next Robbie Brown! Stay and play with Sid and all your dreams will come true.

card #69 is: Dave Ellett

I think I've changed my mind. I'm going to a 9 pack wax post. I tend to ramble. Total book value of STAR cards after 9 packs is $43.00. I only need 3 more cards for set completion. NEXT ! ! !

No comments: